I'm moving to Zurich in a couple of months. I'm wondering if I should sign my emails with "Dr" or "PhD" (I have one) when I inquire for apartments?

I would never do this in my own country as I find it incredibly pompous (and landlords would too). However, I've been advised by my future supervisor to give her as a reference and clearly indicate that she is "Dr XXX". Apparently doctorates are much more respected in Germanic countries than where I come from. So would it be appropriate to sign my emails as "Dr. XXX" or "XXX, PhD", to increase my chances? Or would this act as a deterrent?

  • 1
    Would probably depend on type of apartment/landlord, but generally Dr. is probably better. Phd makes it clear the degree is not from Switzerland/Germany.
    – Tomas By
    Commented Jan 23, 2018 at 13:44
  • @TomasBy Thanks. But my question is, should I put "Dr" at all or not?
    – user14443
    Commented Jan 23, 2018 at 13:56
  • 2
    Ah ok, I misunderstood the last sentence. It seems a bit silly, but if your supervisor thinks it would help, then why not.
    – Tomas By
    Commented Jan 23, 2018 at 14:05
  • In Germany, it would make a difference as to the country, and in some cases even the university, where the degree was awarded. The use of "Dr" is permitted for some but not others. I don't know if Switzerland is the same, though. Commented Jan 24, 2018 at 15:27
  • If the landlord is a snob and it's hard to get approved for the apartment you want, then my guess is, either title would impress, and if the landlord wants to know more, s/he'll ask. But the safest thing would be to email the question to your supervisor. Commented Jan 28, 2018 at 19:31


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.