If I live with my husband in an EU country for a minimum of 3 months, and I am a British citizen, are we required to work there and not be on benefits?

I'm trying to understand how the Surinder Singh route would apply to me and my husband. He is a non-EU national living in Germany on a 3-year residence permit as a refugee.

  • 1
    For background, this user's husband is a non EU national living in Germany on 3 year residence permit as a refugee.
    – user16259
    Jan 22, 2018 at 21:32
  • @user16259 yes that’s right
    – Lucia
    Jan 22, 2018 at 21:53
  • Sorry I really don’t understand how this app works. Am just posting questions hoping someone will help me. I feel overwhelmed with all this. I extended my MSc studies so that I can live with my husband in Germany as I was away from him for 1 year and half. Than I heard about the surinder route which is a bonus as I am already planning to go and live there with him till September when I return to my studies.
    – Lucia
    Jan 22, 2018 at 23:46
  • 1
    Lucia, set up an account at Expatriates, and link it to your account here if you like. Then ask your question there, or flag this question for a moderator's attention and ask for it to be migrated there.
    – phoog
    Jan 22, 2018 at 23:53
  • 4
    Possible duplicate of Surinder Singh route Jan 24, 2018 at 15:24

1 Answer 1


This is the UK government webpage


As neither of you can speak German and you are apparently planning to only pause your studies in the UK I suspect you will fail the requirement to make Germany the centre of your lives.

Your main problem might really be that, as you said, he doesn't want to move to UK.

  • 2
    Why? I can extend my studies for years if I want to. As a native English speaker I can find a job in Germany. But I’ve heard different different thing regarding the surinder route like it says In the gov website that I can proof Iam self sufficient but people in Germany stated no one of us have to work
    – Lucia
    Jan 25, 2018 at 0:14
  • This is getting a bit confusing with two parallel questions from the same op. Moderators, can you merge them?
    – user16259
    Jan 25, 2018 at 6:02
  • Taking your questions as a whole, it seems like you are planning to make a short stay in Germany and put your masters course on pause. To repeat what I said elsewhere: you should get professional advice because you risk going to a lot of trouble moving to Germany and then still having your application rejected by the UK.
    – user16259
    Jan 25, 2018 at 6:07
  • do you know of a good solicitor?
    – Lucia
    Jan 25, 2018 at 15:48
  • Sorry, I don't. If you don't get any recommendations you could start with this link solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk
    – user16259
    Jan 25, 2018 at 21:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.