If I enter the US on a K-1 / I-129F Visa, to marry my fiancé - do I have to leave after the 90 days granted?

After marriage the I-485 visa will also be applied for, do I need to leave until the I-485 is granted?

Thank you.

1 Answer 1


You are admitted for 90 days for K-1. Once you file I-485, you can stay in the US for as long as your I-485 is pending. (This is true even if you file I-485 after the 90 days of K-1 status is over.)

You cannot leave the US while your I-485 is pending, unless you've been granted Advance Parole before you leave, or you would automatically abandon your I-485. You can apply for Advance Parole with I-131 for free together with your I-485, and it will come in a few months.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.