I am an illustrator and graphic designer. Very recently, I have received an offer from an agency of illustrators. The agency has the main core in Europe and I live in the United States (under J2 visa with work permit). The question is:

To write valid invoices according to US laws, do I need some identification number as a company or something similar? or, on the other hand, is my (US) social security number enough?

  • 1
    To write valid factures according to US laws - I am not sure I understand what this means... – Karlson May 20 '14 at 13:57
  • Well, in Spain you need a number, called "CIF" (until 2008) or "NIF" (after 2008, I think). en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax_identification_number – guacho May 20 '14 at 16:33
  • 1
    I think the problem is the word "facture" - this is an unusual English word and doesn't make sense in the context in which you've used it. It means: "The quality of the execution of a painting; an artist’s characteristic handling of the paint." Do you mean "invoice" instead? – Michael Hampton May 20 '14 at 16:52
  • I changed "facture" by "receipt/bill" – guacho May 20 '14 at 17:25
  • 2
    There is no special requirements for an "invoice" in the US... it's just another name for a bill--with an informal definition that it's usually more formal, and uniform. But there are no legal requirements. – Flimzy May 20 '14 at 19:04

In order to write a valid Invoice you don't need to have anything. But if the company is going to hire you and pay you they may want to report the money they paid you on a 1099 form, for example, they will require a Tax Identification Number of some sort such as an EIN or a Social Security Number, which you already have.

However, prior to you being able to obtain employment in any capacity as a J-2 Visa Holder you will need to get an employment authorization so not to violate the terms of your visa.

  • Does working as a contractor count as employment under that visa? – Flimzy May 20 '14 at 19:06
  • I already have work permit. The agency "represents" the artists. This means that the agency doesn't hire you. I don't know whow this facts affect to the 1099 form issue... Can you ellaborate a little bit more, please? – guacho May 20 '14 at 21:07
  • @Flimzy I think the issue is payment (see similar H4) question. There is a "grey area" as explained by some immigration lawyers, and you will need one to explain it and set it up. Given the ability of an OP of obtaining employment authorization I would suggest taking advantage of that option. – Karlson May 20 '14 at 21:58
  • @guacho You have an employment authorization or a recruiter/agency that can help you find work? These are by no means related to one another. – Karlson May 20 '14 at 22:00
  • I have authorization to work in the US (at least, in the state of California). I also have an agency that help me to find work. I'm not sure about the meaning of "employment authorization". By the way, what does it mean "OP"? – guacho May 21 '14 at 9:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.