I have a residence permit of Germany. I want to work in another country but maintain my residence in Germany. Is it possible that I visit Germany twice a year to maintain my permit? Visiting Germany every 179 days makes the Residence Permit invalid? Or it must be that I stay in Germany for a total of 180 days in a year to maintain my residence permit(limited: Aufenthaltstitel, purpose: study)?

For example I stay out of Germany (as well as EU) for 170 days. Stay in Germany for the next 20 days then again out for 170 days and then come back. In this case the Permit gets invalid or not?

  • Is it a limited or unlimited permit? That is, is it an Aufenthaltserlaubnis or a Niederlassungserlaubnis? And is your intended "other country" part of the EU (excluding the UK, Ireland, and Denmark)?
    – phoog
    Feb 26 '18 at 18:40
  • it is a limited permit: Aufenthaltserlaubnis. Other country is outside of EU (and other European countries). Feb 28 '18 at 6:40

The Aufenthaltserlaubnis gets invalidated 6 months after leaving Germany. If you return to Germany within the 6 months, it stays valid.

BUT there is a caveat. If you leave Germany for an in its nature non-temporary cause § 51 AufenthG, Abs. 1.6, the Aufenthaltserlaubnis gets invalid the moment you leave Germany. Having a job in another country typically is such an in its nature non-temporary cause.

There are extra provisions for people that are

  • development aid volunteers
  • family member of German diplomates
  • students of a German university
  • workers for a foreign branch of a German company

But for these, you have to file an application at your local Ausländerbehörde.

  • Thanks. But I have a following situation: I am enrolled as a PhD student in a German University. And I got a job in a country outside EU. The point is that I would be visiting my supervisor in Germany every 5th month. So in this case my Residence Permit expires? Mar 6 '18 at 6:21
  • 2
    If you have a job outside Germany, the standard Aufenthaltserlaubnis expires as soon you leave Germany (not after 6 months only). You need a special permit from the Ausländerbehörde, they do that for PhD students.
    – Janka
    Mar 6 '18 at 7:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.