I am Australian and my fiancee is British. We have a 6 month old son and live in Australia. We plan to marry in the UK in July 2019; as many of her family are unable to travel, we are visiting for a holiday in August 2018.

Therefore I'm hoping to register intent to marry while there, but the marriage visa is only valid for 6 months. Can i apply for another marriage visa to come back for the actual wedding ceremony next year

  • 5
    Please use some punctuation.
    – DK2AX
    Commented Mar 4, 2018 at 17:47
  • Do you plan to move to the UK after marrying there, or just to marry there and return to Australia?
    – phoog
    Commented Mar 4, 2018 at 19:07

1 Answer 1


My then fiancee now wife and I did a similar thing, not in UK proper but a Crown Dependency, and had an immigration discussion with UK Immigration upon our entry to London enroute to Guernsey.

UK does require a visa for marriage in UK for non-UK residents (yourself) and from your posting it sounds like your original 6 months will end: I'd see if they will extend this - looks like they might well provided you weren't in residence for more than 6 months during that period (see link below) but I think it worth starting a discussion with them.


Given you're commonwealth yourself, I'd think they're likely to be quite helpful.

Good luck.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.