My husband and I are expats living in Singapore, planning on moving back to Italy. I am an American citizen and would like to know if I need a Visto per Motivi Familiari or tourist visa in order to apply for residency upon our return. When I apply for residency, can I apply for the Carta di Soggiorno directly or do I still have to obtain a Permesso di soggiorno first? We have been married for 10 years but have lived out of Italy the entire time. It is time to come home but I need to understand how first.

  • Is your husband Italian / EU citizen? – Sayed A. Mar 7 '18 at 18:26
  • Have you asked your local Italian consulate? – phoog Mar 8 '18 at 5:51
  • @SayedA. Hello. Yes, my husband is an Italian EU Citizen. – Silvia Anna Mar 8 '18 at 8:27
  • @phoog Hi. I have not yet asked the Italian consulate. I am in the early stages of researching requirements and procedures. – Silvia Anna Mar 8 '18 at 8:28
  • @SilviaAnna I do not have time to write a proper answer now, nor even to look for related questions, but I do know that Italy has a law extending the benefits of EU freedom of movement rules to family of Italian citizens. This means that you should not need a visa to enter Italy when you arrive there with your husband to settle, and that you will receive a carta di soggiorno. I believe Italy also has a law allowing spouses of Italians to naturalize after just a few years of marriage, even when living outside Italy, so if I'm right about that you could also become Italian even before you move. – phoog Mar 8 '18 at 13:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.