I'm trying to get my H1B visa stamped (not the first time, it's an extension) in Canada. I filled a DS-160 and I'm trying to schedule an appointment. But on the second step (delivery) I see some weird requirements:

The best proof of identity and residence is a Canadian or U.S. driver’s license.

If you do not have a Canadian driver’s license, you may present another Canadian government issued photo ID or a foreign passport along with documents such as utilities bill, bank statement, insurance policy, etc. for proof of residence in Canada. To learn more about the acceptable types of ID click here.

If you are not a resident of Canada, you must present your U.S. driver's license. If you do not have a U.S. driver's license, please name a person that could present the documents mentioned before and pick up your documents in your behalf.

So, the question is, will I be able to pick up if I don't have a US/Canadian driving license? After I drop off my passport, the only document I have is a passport from another country (not in English) and a driving license from another country (Russia).

enter image description here

migrated from travel.stackexchange.com Mar 19 '18 at 21:50

This question came from our site for road warriors and seasoned travelers.

  • The page says "or a foreign passport along with other documents...for proof of residence in Canada". Why do you think your passport wouldn't be acceptable? – DJClayworth Mar 19 '18 at 18:52
  • 1
    @DJClayworth presumably because he does not reside in Canada; given that it's an H-1B extension, he probably resides in the US. In any event, this is a question for Expatriates, so I am voting to close as off-topic. – phoog Mar 19 '18 at 19:08
  • Is there a reason you're making a special trip to Canada just for a re-stamping? Are you aware that you don't need to have your passport re-stamped to remain "in status" after your H-1b is renewed? – brhans Mar 19 '18 at 21:35
  • 1
    There is a name and address on the package you'll receive that they want to match to the ID of the person picking it up, and since it is a CPC clerk doing the matching they limit the acceptable documents to those that person might be familiar enough with to guess at their validity. A state ID card might be an acceptable substitute for a DL, but if there's no time to get one of those I think you need to find someone with the right document(s) to pick up the package for you. This sucks, but this is the way they do document return in Canada. – Dennis Mar 19 '18 at 23:07
  • @Dennis called the visa appointment hotline and found out details about this, please see the response. – Konstantin Chernov Mar 19 '18 at 23:48

So after searching online I had to give up and call them. The guys in the visa interview scheduling support told me that if you don't have any Canada/US ID card, you can choose the home delivery option and the package will be delivered to the address where you are staying in Canada. So, the resolution is to choose Canada in the dropdown and enter the address where you are staying. Later, after you schedule the appointment, you can enter the 'home delivery option'.

I specifically asked if I need any ID in case of home delivery and the answer was negative.

  • Are you living in Canada? – DJClayworth Mar 20 '18 at 3:30
  • @DJClayworth no, I'm Russian resident working on h1b in US – Konstantin Chernov Mar 20 '18 at 16:00
  • If you are working on an H1B, then you are very probably a US resident. – DJClayworth Mar 20 '18 at 16:11
  • @DJClayworth yep, but do not have driving license. So looks like cant prove my identity as per canadian US consulate requirements :( – Konstantin Chernov Mar 20 '18 at 17:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.