I am an international student from South Asia, studying for a Master's (Computer Science) in a Schengen country.

I want to get "permanent residence" in any of the Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

For me, which country will be the "easiest" to getting Permanent Residence and what will be the procedure?

closed as unclear what you're asking by JonathanReez, Dipen Shah, Scott Earle, Giorgio, SztupY Apr 9 '18 at 14:00

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Define "easiest"? – JonathanReez Apr 3 '18 at 0:54
  • Easitest means -- less time to stay, no need to learn native language of that specific country, very easy to get full time job for South-asian people, etc – R.Zam Apr 3 '18 at 17:35
  • anyone?........ – R.Zam Apr 4 '18 at 22:30
  • Time: Almost every country in the Schengen area requires at least 5 years of residence to become a permanent resident, so I'd say time-wise you can choose any country you want.

  • Language: easiest to learn is arguably Dutch, assuming you already speak English. Spanish is also not that hard and widely useful around the world.

  • Ease of getting a job: the richer the country the easier it is to find a job. Germany, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Netherlands and Belgium are perfectly good choices.

However be aware that being a permanent resident of the EU is absolutely useless once you leave the country in question. Only being a citizen grants you any real privileges. You are therefore looking at spending 10+ years in the country in question, so I recommend choosing wisely from the beginning.

  • I won't leave the country (I will just spend 1-2 months per year outside of the Schengen country). If I get "indefinite" time of residence (along with permission to work), that's is Enough for me. – R.Zam Apr 4 '18 at 23:42
  • Is there any Schengen country for which I do Not have to learn the native/additional language? – R.Zam Apr 4 '18 at 23:43
  • @R.Zam being a permanent resident won't allow you to work in other EU countries. – JonathanReez Apr 4 '18 at 23:44
  • But it allows to work in that specific Schegen country? – R.Zam Apr 5 '18 at 0:02
  • Yes it does. But you can also work there if you have a regular work permit – JonathanReez Apr 5 '18 at 0:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.