I got into a small fender-bender yesterday and did not really know what to do. I want to know the proper actions one should take when dealing with such situations.
I'll first describe in short my incident: I was backing out of a parking spot of a gardening store. When I was completely out of the spot and on the driveway, the car that was in the opposite parking spot started to back out as well and hit me. What I really want to say here is that it was not my fault. This is a minor incident: I have a small dent and a lot of small scratches. Nevertheless, this lowers the value of the car and needs to be fixed.
Therefore, what I really need to know is:
- Should the police be called for such minor issues?
- Does it suffice to take the other driver's insurance details or must one also get something else, like a short statement?
- Must the incident be declared somewhere?
- Which insurance company must be first contacted about the incident?
- What's the maximum amount of time one can wait until requesting that the cost of the repairs be supported by the insurance?
The above aspects of such a situation are the ones that came up later during the day. If there are any other things one should know or do, please list them.