I’m in UAE Dubai, and my fiancée in the UK wants to live with me in the UK. When we apply for a spouse visa, there are requirements that are difficult for us (financial). The threshold is £18,600. She is a nursery nurse, and her annual salary is £14,000.

My question is, if we go for a marriage visitor visa, would we be able to change to a spouse visa or ILR?

2 Answers 2


If you don't meet the threshold income you [probably] won't get a spouse visa.

Edit: as mentioned in comments, there are certain exceptions to the income requirement. They include if the person in the UK is disabled or is a carer (but that does not mean a professional carer like your fiancée). Another is if you already have a child living in the UK.

Edit: I misread the job title and the below does not apply.

However, your fiancée is a nurse. The base salary for a full time nurse in the NHS is around £22,000 so maybe she should change jobs as her present one seems to be underpaid.

  • 2
    The OP's original post said "nursery nurse." As best I can tell, in British English that means a childcare worker rather than a healthcare one, which would be a different payscale. Apr 6, 2018 at 6:30
  • Nursery nurses in the UK are often employed in the private sector where the National Living Wage of £7.83ph would apply but there’s no common payscale as such. A Nursery Manager in the private sector would likely earn around £25kpa
    – Traveller
    Apr 6, 2018 at 6:43
  • 1
    There is the 10 year route in special circumstances if you don't meet the financial requirements. you should probably add that to the answer.
    – BritishSam
    Apr 6, 2018 at 7:30
  • 1
    @zachlipton I edited to take account of your correction
    – user16259
    Apr 6, 2018 at 7:30
  • This doesn't answer the question, which is whether the couple could use a marriage visitor visa.
    – phoog
    Apr 6, 2018 at 13:39

if we go for a marriage visitor visa, would we be able to change to a spouse visa or ILR?

No. A marriage visitor visa is for people who want to marry in the UK without moving there. That's why its name includes the word visitor. See the government's overview page, which shows that one of the requirements is:

you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.