I hold an H1B visa and my wife just moved to California as an H4 dependent. I have applied for ITIN along with filing my federal taxes.

How do I file my California State taxes? Should I wait for her ITIN and then file my CA taxes or can I file my CA taxes without her ITIN? I was told by the IRS officer that it would take 8 weeks to get the ITIN. In that case, should I file for an extension for filing my California taxes?

This is what I found in the instructions book of from 540. It does not say anything when one doesn't have an ITIN.

  • 1
    Is the ITIN for your spouse? You should have a social security number, in which case you should not have an ITIN. – phoog Apr 9 '18 at 2:06
  • @phoog - H4 dependent spouses don't get SSN's. Only the H-1b with work authorization gets an SSN, so the H4 spouse has to get an ITIN to be able to submit as "married filing jointly". – brhans Apr 9 '18 at 16:45
  • @brhans I'm aware of that. But the first paragraph implies that OP has applied for an ITIN for himself, as could the last. – phoog Apr 9 '18 at 16:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.