I am an Indian undergraduate student in my 4th year. I have been accepted for an internship in a German University. I applied for a short term Schengen visa (Guest Scientist / Visiting Scholar) at the German Embassy in New Delhi.I received a call from German Embassy a few days later asking for a ZAV certificate. My Prof. stays very busy. It would be helpful to know more about the ZAV and its application procedure.

What do I need to do to get a ZAV certificate from Germany?

  • 1
    Have you already done some research yourself? What did you find and why is that information not satisfactory?
    – Ex Patriot
    Apr 13, 2018 at 22:50

1 Answer 1


You first have to contact the Immatrikulationsamt of that German university. They will contact your German professor's office to fill out the neccessary forms for the Immatrikulationsbescheinigung you want from them. There are different kinds of Immatrikulationsbescheinigung. Please always tell them you are from India and are invited for an internship, so they pick the correct one.

Second, you send this Immatrikulationsbescheinigung to the ZAV, a part of the German employment agency. They will issue you a certificate you may come to Germany and work here. (The German university may offer you to do that step for you.)

Third, send this ZAV certificate to the embassy so they can issue a visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.