Currently, I am holding an F1 student visa. In July 2017 I was diagnosed with brain cancer so I took Fall 2017 & Spring 2018 semesters off on medical leave.

I have a few concerns:

  • Can I extend my leave?
  • What are other options so I can get my treatment done and stay legally?
  • Medical treatment is a valid reason for a B-2 visa.
    – mkennedy
    Apr 22, 2018 at 23:08

1 Answer 1


In general, F-1 students must enroll full time. This page from Homeland Security explains the exceptions, particularly that you can remain in F-1 status without enrolling full time in case of properly documented illness or medical condition, for up to 12 months. This is based on federal regulation 8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)(iii)(B). Unfortunately there isn't a provision for extending this beyond 12 months. So you would have to enroll full time by Fall 2018 to maintain your F-1 status.

If you aren't expected to recover by Fall 2018, you should discuss this problem with your Designated School Official and probably with a US immigration attorney, to try to find some other option. Depending on your circumstances, it might or might not be possible to:

  • enroll full time if they can make some accommodation that would allow for your treatment
  • transfer to a different F-1 school (where you would still have to enroll full time)
  • change to a different immigration status based on some other activity (such as educational research, cultural exchange, or employment) or family tie

If you aren't able to enroll full time as F-1 or change to a different immigration status, you would be facing the choice to leave the US or stay without valid status.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.