All my family members including me, applied for immigration to Canada. I can't just sit and wait for the immigration visa, it might never come. We applied for the express visa.

So I applied for a master's degree, fully funded by my university and a third party. My university is certified by ABET and works with some US universities. However I don't think they have any relationship with Canadian universities.

My master's should take a year and a half, perhaps longer, since I'm busy, I have a full- time job and freelance projects. Some people in my country are receiving immigration visas within a year.

What would happen if I receive the immigration visa while doing my master's? Can I ask for additional time or would I have to quit and lose the tuition funds? Would I harm my family or postpone their immigration?

  • I don't know anything about the Canadian visa system, but I think that "I have to finish a Masters degree" is a good reason for them to extend a deadline. It would allow you to enter the country better-prepared to enter the workforce or Canadian academia. But by no means is that a definite answer, I just understand your motivations. Good luck and I hope someone who knows more about Canada can help you! May 1, 2018 at 16:16
  • Masters in three semesters, next to a fulltime job and freelance projects? Wow.
    – Karl
    May 1, 2018 at 16:58
  • @lafemmecosmique thats exactly why I applied for a masters, I don't need it in my country I'm already a senior, but wanted to get more points on the immigration system
    – Lynob
    May 1, 2018 at 17:03
  • @Karl it might take longer as explained in my question than 3 semesters. But what can I do? If im lucky i'd be able to stop taking freelance for a while, but I have to be prepared for the worst case scenario. Plus I have to make extra money, you can't immigrate if you don't have extra money. Life is hard.
    – Lynob
    May 1, 2018 at 17:06
  • In the US, at least, it's possible to "adjust" from a nonimmigrant status to that of a permanent resident if one becomes eligible for PR status while in the country. I suspect that Canada has a similar provision. If so, you should not need to quit your studies.
    – phoog
    May 1, 2018 at 18:29

1 Answer 1


In theory,You don't have to settle in Canada immediately after you immigrate. I believe that it's quite common that you can just enter Canada border once(Landing) using your immigrate visa before expiration for a short stay to get your PR legal status and paperwork done. After that , you can return to your school immediately to finish your study.

The only catch is you will need a PR card to enter Canada next time . You will need an address in Canada to receive it. (You could have a family member to get that for you or use another special document from CIC to enter)

You should google a little online or go CIC site directly

  • 1
    In the US, the endorsed immigrant visa functions as a temporary green card for one year, so the newly-arrived permanent resident can leave immediately after arrival. Does Canada not have some analogous system?
    – phoog
    Jun 7, 2018 at 15:18
  • 1
    Crossing-border from US by land via private vehicle could use "landing paper" with additional docs to enter Canada ref link . For entry via air or boat, it possible to apply for a PRTD to back to Canada
    – YChi Lu
    Jun 7, 2018 at 16:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.