I'm from India and I got my Niederlassungserlaubnis (Unlimited settlement permit) in Germany this January. I'm getting married in June and my fiancée hasn't enrolled for any German classes so far and from what I have read, a basic German (A1) certificate is necessary if the spouse holds an unlimited settlement permit, whereas it is not mandatory if I hold a Blue Card. I also found a following conditions for exemption in the same document:

You have a university degree and probably will be able to find work in Germany on the basis of your language skills (recognisably minor need for integration requirement).

She holds a master degree from India and can she then apply without the A1 certificate? Does anyone here have any experience regarding the same?

German language exemption

  • I also had a similar question about language test before expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/11439/… and it seems to depend a lot on the local authority. Better go and ask Bürgeramt directly? – xji May 7 '18 at 18:40
  • Your spouse has to take the classes, but she may do this while already in Germany. Failing the test multiple times will require you to go to court – but these cases are rare. – Janka May 8 '18 at 0:01
  • A1 is a really basic level and can be studied within several weeks if you can afford an intensive language course (3-6 hours every day). Since she is going to move to Germany, it can be anyhow a good idea to do such a course. So my advice would be to just do a course. – Andrey Sapegin Aug 15 '18 at 13:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.