Currently in OPT (valid till 2020)


1) Employer A laid off (April 2018).

2) Employer A applied for H1b and picked in lottery

3) May 2018 Got new job with Employer B.

Question: Is it possible to transfer the H1b from Employer A to Employer B?

  • Has the new employer (B) sent an H1B transfer petition to the USCIS?
    – Giorgio
    May 8, 2018 at 14:16
  • No they have not sent it.
    – dukesilver
    May 8, 2018 at 14:50
  • The H1B transfer visa application on your behalf has to be submitted before you can start working for the new employer.
    – Giorgio
    May 8, 2018 at 16:11

1 Answer 1


Yes, it can be done, as long as requisite steps are taken, in accordance with the USCIS process:

Changing Employers

A nonimmigrant employee can change employers. However, the new employer first must file a labor condition application (e.g., H-1B petitions) or temporary labor certification (e.g., H-2 petitions) and then file a new Form I-129 petition with the approved labor certification. The employee cannot begin working for the new employer until USCIS approves the petition. There are two exceptions to this requirement.

1. H-1B

Under the American Competitiveness Act in the Twenty-First Century (AC-21), an employee currently in H-1B status may begin working for a new employer as soon as the new employer files a Form I-129 petition for the employee, if certain requirements are met. If the employee is not currently in H-1B status, he or she cannot change employers or begin working until USCIS approves the Form I-129 petition.

Form I-9

The new employer must complete a new Form I-9 for this newly hired employee. The H-1B employee may present the Form I-94 indicating H-1B nonimmigrant status issued for employment with the previous employer along with his or her foreign passport as a List A document. The new employer should write “AC-21” and the date he or she submitted the Form I-129 petition to USCIS in the margin of Form I-9 next to Section 2.

To show that the employer filed a petition on the employee’s behalf, it is suggested that the employer retain the following documents with the employee’s existing Form I-9:

  • A copy of the new Form I-129
  • Proof of payment for filing a new Form I-129
  • Evidence that you mailed the new Form I-129 to USCIS

Employers must reverify the employee’s employment authorization in Section 3 once USCIS makes a decision on the petition.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.