If I am employed (as a regular employee, not as a contractor) by a German, or generally by a foreign company, which does not have a subsidiary in Mexico, and work for them remotely while living in Mexico, does my company have to register me in the Mexican social security system for employees (IMSS)?

I am aware that I would have to pay income tax in Mexico, but the information that I found about the social security system was not so clear. I am planning to get private health insurance anyway, so I'd prefer not to participate in the IMSS.

  • When I moved here (Mexico) from NZ I asked about working remotely - basically they said as long as I wasn't employed by a Mexico company and wasn't paid into a Mexico bank account then I wouldn't need a work visa (they wouldn't give me one) and would effectively be employed in a different country. The two links above expand on my experience
    – Midavalo
    May 9 '18 at 0:59
  • Hi @Midavalo! Thank you for the links! I had found those already. But as I understood, you are working as a contractor for an organization in NZ. Do you know if the same rules apply to regular employees?
    – Tobias
    May 10 '18 at 8:44
  • 1
    @Tobias, I'm pretty positive that for immigration purposes your exact relationship with a foreign employer is irrelevant. If your employer isn't Mexican and you aren't being paid in MX$ then you aren't working in Mexico. Similarly, I understand IMSS participation is only mandatory if you are formally employed by a Mexican employer, otherwise participation is voluntary (and there is no mandate requiring the foreign employer to contribute just because you live in Mexico).
    – Dennis
    May 10 '18 at 15:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.