I am a Swiss student (Citizenship + Nationality + Place of Birth: Switzerland) and I just got accepted by a PhD program at the University of British Columbia (UBC), Canada. There is tons of information online but I don't manage to make sure which kind of Visa I should apply for.

Should I apply on this page for a study permit or for a permanent resident status?

Notes: I will be working as a Teaching Assistant (TA) at UBC. I have never studied in Canada (only in the USA as an exchange student during my Bachelor).

  • 2
    UBC has an International Student Development office. They should be able to tell you exactly what you need. In fact, there's a good chance they'll contact you directly if you don't contact them first.
    – Nate Eldredge
    Jun 3, 2014 at 13:25

1 Answer 1


Actually as @NateEldredge pointed out most of the information you're able to find from the University of British Columbia International Student Guide as a student or a PhD student you are able to work on Campus as part of your study permit. In addition depending on your citizenship you may require a TRV to enter Canada but since you hold Swiss passport this is not required for you.

In addition to all of the above there were rule changes that went into effect on June 1, 2014 that also provides for ability to work off campus provided you meet eligibility criteria as listed on the page or you will have to apply for a separate Work permit.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.