My wife and I are in the US. She has a B-2 visa and we plan to change her status to O-3. USCIS is supposed to send a new I-94 form after approving a change of status.

After changing the status to O-3, if my wife leaves the US and enters again with the B-2 visa and the new I-94 form, will she get a O-3 status? Or must she apply for a new O-3 visa in a US embassy before entering the US again?

Surprisingly, the answer I get from different sources (USCIS and attorneys) are completely different. The attorney says my wife has to apply for a new O-3 visa, but several USCIS representatives (via USCIS website chat) told me that she would get an O-3 status with the B-2 visa + I-94.

  • What are the different answers you get from those different sources?
    – phoog
    May 16, 2018 at 1:22
  • 1
    Can you post the specific quotes from USCIS suggesting she doesn't need a visa for reentry? Then we can see whether they are actually wrong or if it's just a misunderstanding of "visa" vs "status".
    – krubo
    May 16, 2018 at 16:33
  • Sorry, I didn't keep chat logs. May 16, 2018 at 20:48

1 Answer 1


Your wife cannot enter the US in O-3 status with a B-2 visa, except under automatic revalidation, which she can use only if she is returning from a trip of no more than 30 days' duration in which she has not gone anywhere other than Canada and/or Mexico.

Therefore, if she leaves the US under any other circumstances, she will need to get an O-3 visa at a US consulate before she can return.

  • Thanks @phoog. I updated my question. Any idea why the USCIS answer is different? May 16, 2018 at 3:13
  • @ChronoTrigger did you give USCIS reason to think that she'd only be in Mexico and or Canada for 30 days or less before returning to the US?
    – phoog
    May 16, 2018 at 3:28
  • No, I specified Spain. May 16, 2018 at 5:03
  • 1
    @ChronoTrigger USCIS doesn't admit people to the US. Maybe they gave that answer out of confusion. Try asking CBP what they think. I suppose their answer will agree with the lawyers.
    – phoog
    May 16, 2018 at 12:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.