I'm a non-European and I recently finished my master's degree in Germany and started a job. I needed to relocate to a different city for the job and I did.

I currently have a Fiktionsbescheinigung and it was getting close to its expiry date. So I went to my local foreigner's office and asked for an appointment to apply for a work residency since I have a job now. I was told that my file was still at my old city and that they can't do anything until then. That was last month and I was told I should go again when the residency is closer to its expiry date.

The expiry date is in two days so I went again today (that has to be close enough) and was told the same thing: No file, nothing we can do about it. I asked if there is anything I could do and was told no. I asked if I can get a piece of paper stating my current status of being stuck in limbo and was told no.

How bad is the situation I'm now? Is this common? Is there anything I can do? And finally will this affect my job?


1 Answer 1


You need a new Fiktionsbescheinigung. Talk to the Ausländerbehörde where you get the previous one from and explain the circumstances.

These Fiktionsbescheinigung are exactly meant for that situation – files are in process and you need an interim paper which states "had a permission before, and we assume nothing important has changed so it still applies."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.