I was a resident of Sweden but moved after living there for 2 years. Can I move back with my minor son who holds a Swedish passport? Can I reactivate my Swedish personummer and get a duplicate card?

  • There is probably not much you can do from India. If you need help understanding the documents (ie validity) you can post scans (with your name etc blacked out). – Tomas By Jun 16 '18 at 9:14
  • Thanku for responding. As I don't have the card, the lifetime residence permit is stamped on the passport that I used then. I only know the personummer so I am trying to find out if I can still get a duplicate ID card. – SAMANTHA Jun 16 '18 at 9:19
  • 1
    There was another question like this recently. The residence permit is cancelled if you leave Sweden for more than a year, apparently. You should be able to call skatteverket on the telephone and find out. – Tomas By Jun 16 '18 at 9:21
  • Some say that the ID validity is lifetime. So I guess it is not valid if the residence permit is not. Thankyou for your help – SAMANTHA Jun 16 '18 at 9:24
  • No the cards are normally valid for five years I think. – Tomas By Jun 16 '18 at 9:26

Can I reactivate my Swedish personummer and get a duplicate card?

When you get your Swedish personal number, it is valid for life.

Therefore, if you can get a visa or other form of permit to live in Sweden again, you can just resume using the personal number that you were assigned in the past.

However, whether you can simply move to Sweden with your son is another question — probably not, but do post the question separately.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.