I would like to know if I can apply for ancestry to the UK with two of my great-grandparents being born there. Their daughter, my grandmother, was born in South Africa, but both her parents were born in the UK in the late 1800s. I can produce copies of both great-grandparents' birth certificates.
Unfortunately for you, the criteria for the UK ancestry visa are quite clear:
You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:
- are a Commonwealth citizen
- are applying from outside the UK
- are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
- are able and planning to work in the UK
- meet the other eligibility requirements
Note the third bullet point. You must be able to show that at least one grandparent was born in the UK. That you have a grandparent born in South Africa whose parents were born in the UK will not help in this regard.