I need a sworn French translation of my latest diploma, but from my understanding that translation companies in the US are not "sworn" translations. How should I go about getting my diploma translated? Are there any French companies that provide this service to US customers? Are there any American companies that provide services which a French University would accept?

From the NY French Consulate:

There are no sworn translators in the United States. The profession of translator is not regulated and its practice does not require any validation of professional credentials.


From the NY French Consulate, perhaps I could use ATA certified translators? Would this be acceptable?

Email I received from The University of Toulouse:

An important clarification concerning the French translation of your documents. A sworn French translation​ is required for your latest diploma only​ (the equivalent of a Bachelor in IT or superior), all other documents can be presented in English.

Campus France Application:

The original copies of your secondary school diploma, your higher education studies diploma and a certificate proving that you have successfully completed your 3th year of higher education studies. If the original documents are not in French, they must be accompanied by a sworn translation from a French consular agent of cultural services of French Embassy or a French consulate.

  • In some cases the consulate itself provides translations/certifications. Maybe you can also contact them. At least this was the case for me with the German consulate in Hong Kong.
    – xji
    Commented Jul 5, 2018 at 18:09

1 Answer 1


To be safe I followed the translator advice on the NY consulate's website and I used a French company based in Grenoble:


In total for a translation of my undergrad diploma and my undergrad transcripts the total came to 143.25 euro. Seemed a little pricey, but the process was convenient and quick. Turn around was 5 business days to download the documents. They also sent the originals (included in price) internationally to the US via La Poste.

These translated documents will be needed when I register with the university in person at Université Toulouse 1 Capitole. I will update to see if everything goes successfully when I register at the University.

  • Sorry forgot to update everyone! Everything went smoothly! Commented Nov 13, 2018 at 20:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.