I've got German permanent residence (Niederlassungserlaubnis) and planning to take break from work for 2 - 3 months to travel and think on startup plans.

In this case, how much do I need to pay for medical insurance? Currently I've got AOK public health insurance.

  • 4
    I think you are much more likely to get a reliable answer from AOK than from a random person on the internet. – Martin Bonner supports Monica Jul 5 '18 at 10:25
  • It depends on your income during this time (all sources, including, e.g., rent from flats that you own). To a minor degree, the individual rate of your local AOK (Zusatzbeitrag) also factors in. – chirlu Jul 5 '18 at 18:21
  • @chirlu I stay in rented apartment and won't be having any income from salary or other sources, so any idea what is min I need to pay ? – vikramvi Jul 5 '18 at 20:00
  • If you’ve been working for long enough, you should be able to have it paid by the Agentur für Arbeit. – Daniel Sep 19 '18 at 14:05

If you do not have any income during this time, you will be treated as if you had an income of € 1015 monthly (as of 2018). On this amount, you pay around 15% for health insurance and typically 2,8% for long-term care insurance. The exact rates depend on where you live, among other things.

Consequently, you will need to pay around € 180 a month.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.