My wife joined me last week here in Germany with a family reunion visa. We have an appointment at the district office (Bezirksamt) this week so she can register. The marriage certificates we have are in English and another one in French.

Question: Will they ask for a German translation? Does it have to be legalized/certified?

  • 2
    What are your citizenships? The Gemeinde wasn't particularly interested in our relationship when we (British Citizens) registered. If you are EU and she is not, then they might well be more interested. Jul 10, 2018 at 16:06
  • We are both non-EUs
    – M20
    Jul 10, 2018 at 19:49
  • 1
    You can post your update as an answer and accept it.
    – phoog
    Jul 20, 2018 at 12:49

2 Answers 2


Generally speaking, German authorities will only accept foreign documents if they have an Apostille (basically an extra document vouching for the validity of the original document in a standardized manner) and a translation by a certified translator (of both the Apostille, that will likely be in the same language as the original document because it's from the same source and the original document).

There may be exceptions if the documents are from the EU, but I guess if you are not EU citizens, your documents will likely not be from a non-EU country.

However, if you already got your family reunion visa, you should have all those documents already, because the Ausländeramt already required them. If they didn't ask for those papers... I guess there might be some exception for you I don't know about.

  • Thanks for your response. Yes; the English version was sufficient for the visa.
    – M20
    Jul 11, 2018 at 18:23
  • hm, I guess you can just find out. Worst case is you go home empty handed and have to bring the missing papers next time.
    – nvoigt
    Jul 11, 2018 at 18:26

They did not ask for a German translation and everything went good.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.