So here's the situation. My parents live in Germany, and own an LHD, German registered car there, on which I am insured. I live in the UK.

Our understanding is that I can drive my parents in their car from East Germany all across to Calais, but I'm not allowed to drive the last hour or so on the English side, since I am a UK resident attempting to drive a non-UK car. Is that correct, or does my not owning the car, and the car only "visiting" change the situation?

  • Where do you get that understanding from? Do your parents' insurance company think you are insured to drive the car in England? (Ask them.) Commented Jul 16, 2018 at 14:19

1 Answer 1


This UK Government webpage and a slew of other SE answers confirm that as a UK resident, you cannot enter the UK with an EU vehicle. EU (and perhaps other) cars can be brought into the UK by tourists for up to 6 months, but UK residents cannot do this.

  • 1
    OTOH, if the parents are in the car when it is driven into the UK, I think the OP can still drive the car in the UK. Commented Jul 17, 2018 at 8:20
  • Perhaps if the parents are driving the car it'd work, but I wouldn't bet on it. and I really wouldn't want to be the OP if he's caught driving the car in the UK without his parents. Commented Jul 17, 2018 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.