If a child is born to a non-EU member father and an EU-member (egPolish) mother outside of the EU - say in the country of the father's residence - does that child qualify for the same passport as the mother?

  • 1
    It depends on the laws of the mother's country of origin regarding nationality. If you know, we can give a direct answer (or you can google it).
    – ouflak
    Jul 19, 2018 at 13:08
  • The mother is a Polish citizen. I found that the child would be a Polish citizen, but still somewhat unsure if the child definitely qualifies for an EU passport then.
    – alecvn
    Jul 19, 2018 at 13:27
  • 1
    If the child is a Polish citizen, the child qualifies for a Polish passport (subject to any requirements specified in Polish law). The term "EU passport" is shorthand for "a passport of an EU country"; there's no actual passport issued by the EU to European Union citizens by virtue of their European Union citizenship.
    – phoog
    Jul 19, 2018 at 18:19

1 Answer 1


A child born to a Polish citizen outside of Poland is automatically a Polish citizen.

Polish citizenship qualifies the child for a Polish passport. There is no specific EU passport. Each member country's passport is evidence of EU 'citizenship' and all of those rights and responsibilities.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.