My fiance and I recently got married in our home country (Egypt). She has been living and working in the UK for about a year now while I live in Germany. When she entered the UK, she was single.

Does she have to report to the authorities now that she got married? if yes, where should she go or what should she do?

Note that we are not interested in any sort of dependent visa for me, I am just asking about the procedure of declaring marriage in the UK, when the person in question is a foreigner who got married abroad.


I am not aware of any master notification, but she needs to look at each of her legally significant relationships.

If her visa requires notification of any significant change in circumstances, she may need to report the marriage there. That may be a basis for a separate question that should include the visa type.

It may be worth consulting her local Citizens Advice Bureau, for any notifications she needs to do in the UK.

If she has a will and/or insurance policies with a named beneficiary she should review them.

  • No visa in the UK requires such notification nor is any immigrant required to make such a declaration. The Citizens Advice Bureau will simply confirm that. If applying for entry into the UK, or for leave to remain in the UK, they may be asked then, otherwise that's it. – ouflak Jul 25 '18 at 7:01
  • If she has a will that was made under English and Welsh law, and it was not explictily made "in contemplation of the marriage", it has been invalidated by the marriage. I do not believe insurance companies need to be notified about marrying the named beneficiary (if some other individual is named, it might be worth confirming that this is intended to continue). – Martin Bonner supports Monica Dec 17 '18 at 12:09

There is no requirement to declare the marriage.

  • Is there no official context in which she would have been asked for her marital status, and might need to declare the change? In the US, for example, income tax depends on marital status, so someone in this situation would have to declare the change on the next income tax return by selecting the appropriate status and calculating tax accordingly. There's no general requirement to submit evidence to support the declaration of marital status, however; that the declaration is made under penalty of perjury is sufficient. I suppose the same might be true in the UK. – phoog Jul 23 '18 at 14:34
  • @phoog, Someone may be asked that as part of a declaration when entering the country, but there is no requirement for notification at all. And U.S. taxes do not depend on maritial status. If a resident taxpayer so chooses, they can file as married or single, but there is no requirement that they file as married if they indeed are so. There is no 'declaration of marital status' in the UK. If it comes up at a relevant context, then it is considered. In the United States, the rules are different. The newlywed MUST notify the government of their 'change of status' as soon as possible. – ouflak Jul 25 '18 at 6:55
  • @phoog, Someone may be asked when applying for a new visa in the country as well, but again, no notification required at all. – ouflak Jul 25 '18 at 6:59
  • I should note that the tax requirements for American expats are quite (unfairly) different, but this is not question about taxes. – ouflak Jul 25 '18 at 6:59
  • Do you have a source to support your claim that a married US taxpayer can file as single if they choose? It certainly does not agree with the text of the instructions. Furthermore, if it were true, only a fool would ever file as "married filing separately." Also, what US government body is a newlywed supposed to notify of change of status as soon as possible? I need to know, since I never made such a notification when I got married seven years ago. – phoog Jul 25 '18 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.