I don't have or remember my social security number, which I got in 1979. I want to find my number, since I am in the country with no visa. What can I do?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Giorgio, ouflak, Dipen Shah, Scott Earle, Dirty-flow Aug 9 '18 at 14:12

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 5
    Which country? Which country are you a citizen of? Did you enter the country legally? – Martin Bonner Aug 3 '18 at 20:18
  • 2
    Are you hoping that having a social security number will somehow mitigate problems related to your immigration status? It will not. – phoog Aug 4 '18 at 14:04

I'd recommend you start at this website. You can learn about the process for recovering your SSN. You should also consider visiting your nearest SS office. I don't believe they ask to see a visa before rendering assistance.

Good luck.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.