As a family man currently settled in the Philippines, I want to further my Software Engineering career and success for my family (I want to do it along with my wife and baby as I don’t want to miss his early years). Is there a way to get a Masters Degree in CS/IT in the USA while at the same time working part-time to sustain my family needs? I want to explore H1B as an opportunity in the future.


Working for the university you are attending in some limited capacity (say, <= 20 hours/week) is generally possible.

  • 1
    Which US visa will allow this sir to take my family together with me and allow me to work while taking part-time Masters Degree in the USA?
    – youinc
    Sep 11 '18 at 7:02
  • In addition, I suppose part-time study is permissible in H-1B status. @youinc Student visas and H-1B visas both have provision for dependents. For example, dependents of a J-1 visa holder can apply for J-2, and dependents of an H-1B holder can apply for an H-4.
    – phoog
    Sep 11 '18 at 7:19
  • You have to be a full-time student if on a F-1 visa, so the part-time work will be in addition to a full course load. That's usually around 12 credit hours.
    – mkennedy
    Sep 12 '18 at 21:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.