I am a family member of EU citizen and holding Resident Card with Article 10.

I know that I don't need visa to enter UK. However, after I enter UK with Article 10 Resident Card, can I apply UK Resident Card straight away? Or, do I have to apply for EEA Family Permit before I enter UK?

1 Answer 1


It is not necessary to have an EEA family permit to apply for a UK residence card. You can enter with your non-UK Article 10 card and then apply for the UK residence card, assuming your EEA national family member is a "qualified person" in the UK (residing there and working, self-employed, studying, or self-sufficient).

  • @Soo you can enter the UK if your husband travels with you. You cannot apply for a UK residence card unless your husband is a qualified person.
    – phoog
    Sep 19, 2018 at 19:37
  • what if my husband will travel with me? I am from Visa-free country, will i have to show Uk custom my Maltese Resident Card? because my friend told me that if i come to Uk with Visitor Visa, then i cannot change my status. thank you
    –  Soo
    Sep 19, 2018 at 19:40
  • @Soo your friend is incorrect. Legally, your rights under the EEA regulations are available to you even if you entered as a visitor. But you should indeed show your resident card when you enter; otherwise you might later get in trouble for deception (that is, entering as a visitor when you didn't actually intend to visit, but to remain).
    – phoog
    Sep 19, 2018 at 19:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.