I am holding a Business Visitor (subclass 600) with me now for Australia. I have planned to apply for permanent residency.

If my employer ask me to apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) visa while I have applied for my PR visa, what would happen? Can I apply for another type of Visa while a Visa is in progress.

Also could I still use my visitor visa to travel when the PR or TSS visa applied and in progress?


1 Answer 1


Since you are not yet employed in Australia, I presume you are applying for permanent residence via the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa. If so, the answer is easy: you can apply for a 189 visa at any time, whether or not you are in Australia. You can also travel to/from Australia while a 189 or TSS/482 visa application is pending.


You can be in or outside Australia when you submit your EOI.

A couple of catches:

  • You can't apply for a 189 directly, you can only submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) that the government may or may not get back to you about. Waiting up to a year for them to do so is normal.
  • If you apply for any Australian visa (including TSS/482) and are refused, you may be disqualified from applying for a 189.
  • Thank you for the catches. But, I intended to know is, could I apply for TSS while I have applied for 189 Visa (could be in any status, like, have Submitted my EOI and waiting for a response Or Received a response and visa is in progress OR any status).
    – siddiq
    Oct 3, 2018 at 6:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.