I am a non European currently studying in Germany and have a residence permit here. I want to do an internship in Switzerland for 3 months. Do I need to apply for a Swiss visa or is the German residence permit sufficient?

  • Is it a paid internship?
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 9, 2018 at 14:58
  • @phoog: yes, a stipend
    – Das
    Commented Oct 9, 2018 at 17:12

1 Answer 1


According to the International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience, unless you are from Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, or Malaysia you will need a visa:

The visa will be transferred to a Swiss embassy in the country of residence of the trainee and needs to be picked up there. Entering Switzerland for working purposes without a valid visa is not permitted and a visa cannot be obtained in Switzerland.

Your German visa authorizes you to travel to other Schengen states for up to 90 days in any 180-day period, but it doesn't authorize you to work in other Schengen states.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.