I have question about visas and working in Canada.

My wife is going to study in Canada for a year or two so me and our 2 children are going with her as so-called "dependents" on her visa. We currently live in Japan, and I work remotely for a Swedish company as a software developer. I was wondering if it's possible to continue working on my current job, and if so, what the best way to do that is.

This link (which if I understand correctly is the official authority on immigration) says, on the subject of what isn't considered work,

long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;

.. which I take as "as long as you get paid to a non-Canadian bank account it's fine since it won't be considered work". But I don't know for sure that my assumptions about Canadian immigration law are correct and it would be nice if there is somewhere I can get an official and unequivocal answer to this instead of later finding out I'm in legal trouble. I also don't know if "funneling" my salary through a non-Canadian bank account into a Canadian one is considered perfectly legal, or if going about it this way will close any doors when it comes to getting another visa in the future - I'd rather pay taxes in Canada and get paid into a Canadian bank account since that will be cheaper, more convenient and feel more reasonable but that seems to be a dealbreaker.

Is there somewhere I can get a confirmation that this is a valid approach? (or does anyone know a reason why it wouldn't be?)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.