Am having difficulties with my visa renewal at prefecture Lyon France. I am from Nigeria and my husband is currently doing his PhD in France, we both have a long stay visa for three years, My visa is a student visa because I was given admission to study French in Alliance Francaise for two months and that gives me right to work (part-time) At this point I want to renew and keep the student status, to enable me to continue my work. I was told my visa status will have to change from student to Visitor or wife visa and I will not be able to work. which visa can I apply for to enable me to work in Lyon France? because currently am no longer studying French

1 Answer 1


(sorry I cannot do a "comment" in this stackexchange since I do not yet have the requisite score)

There are a few different ways forward, depending on whether your is husband under a "scientifique-chercheur" long-stay titre de séjour or a "étudiant".

If it's the former: http://www.rhone.gouv.fr/Demarches-administratives/Sejour-travail-naturalisation-et-echange-de-permis-de-conduire-des-etrangers/Chercheurs-et-leurs-conjoints

If it's the latter: http://www.rhone.gouv.fr/Demarches-administratives/Sejour-travail-naturalisation-et-echange-de-permis-de-conduire-des-etrangers/Etudiants-et-leurs-conjoints

I know they're both in French, but Google Translate does a pretty good job on these pages.

Please do clarify your husband's situation so that we could provide you with a more appropriate response.

But in theory, you should be able to get a titre de séjour with the same time limitations as your husband's, on the basis of your relationship with him.


Normally, once you need to apply for renewal (at least 2 months before your current one expires) you should check out the list of documents required (that's why I am asking under what type of "titre de séjour" or residence permit your husband is under), and you will apply for a titre de séjour as a family member of a student or researcher.

Either way, both should technically allow you to work.

It is only the visitor titre de séjour that will not allow you to work.

Lastly: please note that there is a difference between a visa and a titre de séjour/residence permit. The former allows you to enter a country while the latter is what you get to reside past the initial validity of the visa. France issues an initial long-stay visa valid as a titre de séjour (the acronym is vls-ts) valid for 1 year for those coming here to study, for example, for three 3 years. This needs to be validated at the OFII in the first 3 months of your stay. Upon validation, you get a sticker in your passport that is equivalent to a titre de séjour / residence permit.

You are then required to request for the "renewal" of this vls-ts at least 2 months before the expiration. Upon renewal, you get the residence permit / titre de séjour in a card format.

  • We are married and we have our marriage certificate translated in French as required by prefecture. what visa will give the authorization to work part-time in France.
    – Salma
    Commented Oct 19, 2018 at 16:42
  • Please see my edits. I did understand that you are married. What I was asking for clarification for was on the type of titre de séjour / residence permit your husband is under (because PhD students in France get either a "student" titre de séjour or a "scientist-researcher" one). Also, as far as I know, long-stay visas in France are granted for only one year (which then need validation at the OFII office)...and you have to then renew it as a titre de séjour in order to stay for the next 2 years.
    – ar5975
    Commented Oct 20, 2018 at 4:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.