I've got an employment visa for 6 months to Germany. I'd like to visit Paris, France(Family) during the holidays. Will I be allowed to? My visa states that it is valid for Deutschland. Do I need an additional visa to enter France? I'm an Indian National. Thanks for any help

1 Answer 1


A national visa (type D) allows you to visit other Schengen countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. See for example Long-stay visa holders to have greater freedom to move around the EU.

  • Thanks again for the answer. I'm just wondering, if its 90 days, how is that tracked? Do I have to submit my passport when I enter France to start the count?
    – Sheldor
    Oct 28, 2018 at 6:29
  • @Sheldor it's not routinely tracked. It seems that the time restriction is only likely to become an issue if someone comes to the attention of the immigration authorities or other police officers for some reason.
    – phoog
    Oct 28, 2018 at 14:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.