My husband has an EEA passport and he currently has a permanent job in the UK. I would like to join him with our kids, but we do not have EEA citizenship. What kind of visa do I need (and for our kids) as well as what kind of documents do I use to apply for it?

  • 2
    What is the nationality of you and your kids? What is your husbands annual income?
    – gerrit
    Nov 5, 2018 at 14:28
  • Depending on your nationalities and your husband’s circumstances in the UK, you can apply for a Family Permit gov.uk/family-permit/eligibility
    – Traveller
    Nov 5, 2018 at 14:57
  • @gerrit annual income does not matter if the principal is a national of an EEA country (and the family moves before the UK leaves the EU). The fact that he has a job is sufficient.
    – phoog
    Nov 5, 2018 at 17:13
  • 2
    @gerrit that only applies to British citizens wanting to bring their family members. British citizens are not "EEA nationals" under UK law except under certain limited circumstances. In any case the nationality of the family members is not relevant unless they are EEA nationals, which we already know OP and her children are not. If the husband's nationality is British, then the question needs to be updated because the answer would be radically different.
    – phoog
    Nov 5, 2018 at 17:18
  • 1
    @gerrit it is indeed true. It's so true that some UK citizens have moved to the EU so as to trigger the circumstances allowing them to bring their family to the UK under the EU rules (search for "Surinder Singh"). Moving to Ireland and back is easier for some than sponsoring a family member. It is one aspect of EU regulation that was used to promote Brexit (i.e., "regain control of immigration"). Check Traveler's link above, and compare with gov.uk/uk-family-visa. No thousands of pounds in fees, no income requirement. Just freedom of movement.
    – phoog
    Nov 5, 2018 at 17:29

1 Answer 1


As non-EEA family members of an EEA citizen already in the UK and working, you can apply for an EEA Family Permit https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eligibility.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.