I have a tn visa and I'm planning to travel to Mexico for christmas and I would be returning in January. My I-94 expires 12 days after.

I'm planning in applying for an extension (I-129) one day after returning to the USA. Supposedly I won't be out of status if I have an application pending. Will I have any problems entering the country with immigration officers?

Would it be better to apply for a new visa at a US consulate, or extension is good enough.


  • As I understand it you'll get a new period of admission when you return, not be readmitted for the remaining 12 days of your current admission. Getting a new visa won't help and isn't necessary. Of course it is a good idea to keep your visa valid to facilitate travel on short notice, so if your visa is expiring soon you should probably renew it for the sake of flexibility. – phoog Nov 6 '18 at 7:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy