Is it possible to apply for a German passport substitution or a German travel document for foreigners as my embassy is making it more and more complicated to renew my passport and I will have to wait for at least 9 months and I urgently need to renew my residency?

  • The 'complication' and time it takes to get your passport is not relevant. If you hold one (even expired) or can reasonably (in other words it won't be denied because you are not a citizen), then the Deutsche Passersatzpapiere für Ausländer is not meant for you. That's more situations such as asylum seekers or people whose citizen isn't known or decided yet, or even stateless people.
    – ouflak
    Nov 7, 2018 at 17:46

1 Answer 1


It seems that you cannot. According to the §5 of the Aufenthaltsverordnung a Reiseausweis für Ausländer can only be issued for a person who does not possess a passport of their home country or cannot obtain it in a reasonable way. You do possess a passport of your home country and you can renew it in time if you apply early enough (§5 s.2).

  • No, even if I apply early enough, it will take me at least 9 months after the expiry date of my current one cuz many paperwork have to be fulfilled till my age of 30.
    – ouba2
    Nov 7, 2018 at 11:12
  • 2
    Honestly, I don't quite understand your comment. If you know that the renewal takes more than 9 months you have to apply taking that timespan into account.
    – Ex Patriot
    Nov 7, 2018 at 11:15
  • 1
    @ouba2 What do you mean by "many paperwork have to be fulfilled till my age of 30"? "till" is definitely wrong. Do you mean "many pieces of paperwork cannot be provided before I am 30"? Or do you mean "many pieces of paperwork are required because I am 30"? Nov 7, 2018 at 11:15
  • 1
    @ouba2 The German authorities will assume you should have known how long it would take to renew your passport. If it came as a nasty shock to you, then I am afraid that is your problem. Nov 7, 2018 at 11:17
  • @Ex Patriot: I need a piece of paper to be able to renew my passport and I won`t get this paper until I reach 30 years old. That will take 5 months after the expiry of my current passport and add 4 months at least for my embassy to process my application and issue me a new passport.
    – ouba2
    Nov 7, 2018 at 11:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.