I'm considering learning French at France, and as a Japanese citizen I can stay for up to 90 days at the Schengen area without any visa.

Now, in order to obtain the student visa, I must go back to Japan (where I don't live in), do lots of paperworks and interview at the French embassy at Tokyo, and also get charged with a steep application fee. So I rather want to make the study period less than 90 days and study there without getting visa.

But is this possible or do I have to obtain a student visa even though the duration is less than 90 days?

  • What is your country of residence?
    – Traveller
    Nov 11, 2018 at 9:26
  • @Traveller Mainland China
    – Blaszard
    Nov 11, 2018 at 9:28
  • 2
    Schengen visa applications must normally be submitted in the applicant’s country of residence. Is there a reason why you believe you have to return to Japan to apply rather than apply in China? fr.tlscontact.com/cn/BJS/splash.php?l=en
    – Traveller
    Nov 11, 2018 at 9:41
  • @Traveller It is not the Schengen visa but the student visa for France, which is only applicable to France. I have read I must apply from my own country; at least the working holiday visa must be applied from my own country even if I live in other countries, which was written at the Embassy website (I saw it when I was considering it but eventually gave up due to the reason).
    – Blaszard
    Nov 11, 2018 at 9:47
  • fr.tlscontact.com/cn/splash.php?l=fr also indicates application from country of residence. Nov 11, 2018 at 10:59

1 Answer 1


You do not need a student visa. The Schengen regulations cover all short-stays in France no matter their purpose. You don't need one in your case but there is even a box “study” on the standard Schengen short-stay visa application form and your visa-free stay would be governed by the same rules.

Should you need a French long-stay visa for another purpose, note that applying from your country of residence (as opposed to your country of origin) is generally fine. Work-holiday visas are a very particular beast as they are rooted in bilateral agreements. There are also some special rules regarding student visas as many people have to apply online first.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.