I am Portuguese and I am also a bachelor of Information Systems.

I would like to make a comparability assessment of my degree to join some university in the UK.

Does anyone have more accurate information on which council is appropriate to contact and ask for more details?

On my research, I found The British Computer Society. Is that one the right council?


This is the link of a brazilian website giving information about the use of NARIC services or directly with the organization that will avaliate the diploma.

Pay attention to the following sentence:

Portuguese: "Você pode ir diretamente ao órgão que vai validar seu diploma"

English: "You can go directly to the organ that will validate your diploma"


If you desire, you can translate the text to get a better understanding about what they are saying.

So, as I am trying to localize such a specific IT organ, I found out the https://www.bcs.org/

  • Can you add a link to the BCS page that talks about this? I found that they have various exams for certifications but only part of previous qualifications can be used as exemptions. – mkennedy Nov 12 '18 at 14:04
  • I just edited my post. It is bcs.org – Alexandre Ribeiro Nov 12 '18 at 15:50

The UK NARIC is the agency on behalf of the UK government (more specifically, Department of Education) which is responsible in comparing qualifications overseas to that in the UK, on their website they mentioned:

UK NARIC is the designated United Kingdom national agency for the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills. It performs this official function on behalf of the UK Government.

One of their service include issuing a statement of comparability, which in their words:

The UK NARIC Statement of Comparability is a document that can be used in support of your international qualifications.

It guides universities, colleges, employers and professional bodies on how your qualifications (including professional qualifications) relate to UK qualifications and certificates.

| improve this answer | |
  • Full disclosure: While the answer is written like a promotional material, I am not affiliated with UK NARIC in any way, except that some of my UK tax paid in previous years might go to them in a way or another. – B.Liu Nov 11 '18 at 19:08
  • If I intend to do the process directly to the council, I do not need the NARIC services. It is a company that provides kind of services. Am I right? – Alexandre Ribeiro Nov 11 '18 at 20:19
  • What do you mean when you say "do the process directly to the council"? I am unaware of what is the norm in Portugal and hence might have misunderstood your question in this case. – B.Liu Nov 11 '18 at 20:24
  • Furthermore, when you say "join some university in the UK", do you mean taking up employment within the university, or studying for a qualification? – B.Liu Nov 11 '18 at 20:25
  • In my search, I saw that I can iniciate the process with NARIC or directly with the council, for example, the British Computer Society. I want to study in the university. – Alexandre Ribeiro Nov 11 '18 at 20:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.