If you've been away from your home country for over 15 years, is that seen as weak ties to your home country when applying for an American student visa?

I am a Taiwanese citizen and I'm now living in Taiwan. The thing is that I went to U.S. with my family and overstayed as a minor. I left when I was 18 (20 days after I turned 18) and then I went to Canada to study as an int'l student. I then worked for 2.5 years. Altogether I spent 6 years in Canada. I returned to Taiwan after 17 years. I just came back 1 year and a half ago.

I'm now applying for a F1 visa.

  • How long after your 18th birthday did you leave the US?
    – Traveller
    Nov 12 '18 at 10:47
  • I left 20 days after I turned 18.
    – user57623
    Nov 12 '18 at 12:09
  • 4
    Please edit all the relevant background information into your question. It’s important to include it there rather than in Comments because people who answer may not always notice them, and Comments may be deleted over time.
    – Traveller
    Nov 12 '18 at 12:21
  • Which study visa do you wish to apply for? travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study.html
    – Traveller
    Nov 12 '18 at 15:32
  • 1
    How long were you in Canada for? And how long has it been since you've returned to Taiwan?
    – RoboKaren
    Nov 12 '18 at 19:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.