My question is similar to

Applying for a Student Visa in Germany from Netherlands as a Non-EU citizen?

I am a student in UK enrolled in a Masters program. I recently finished my Masters (September, 2018) and got an offer as a PhD student from a Swedish university. My UK Tier 4 student visa is valid up to Jan 2019. I am a citizen of India.

My question is, if it is possible for me to apply for my doctoral student visa from the Swedish embassy in London (UK) or do I need to return to India to make my application. Thanks.

  • 2
    The Swedish mission to the UK is the best source for this information. Have you tried asking them?
    – phoog
    Commented Nov 18, 2018 at 0:27

1 Answer 1


As there was no answer posted to this question, I am posting my own experience.

It is absolutely possible to apply for a residence permit in Sweden from London or any other location. The Swedish migration agency (migrationsverket) does not impose any restriction on the place of application as long as you are a valid visa holder (or a residence permit holder) of that location. I have recently filed my application and received a result for the same as well.

Please bear mind this is specific to Sweden. Other countries might impose other restrictions.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.