Just moved to the UK for a maximum period of 12 months. If I buy a second hand car can I drive it using my greek driving license? Does the license need revision or accepted as is? How is regulated the insurance policy regarding foreign citizens/ driving licenses? Thank you

1 Answer 1


You can check whether your Greek licence allows you to drive in the UK here https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence On the facts given in the question, Yes, you can drive for up to 12 months with your Greek driving licence. Other requirements are that your vehicle must: - be registered with the DVLA - have up to date vehicle tax (you will need to arrange this when you buy the car) - have a current MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one - typically those over 3 years old) - be roadworthy. You must also have a minimum of third party insurance that covers your use of the vehicle https://www.gov.uk/legal-obligations-drivers-riders

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) is widely used in the UK to help enforce driving laws https://www.police.uk/information-and-advice/automatic-number-plate-recognition/

You should also make sure you are aware of drink-driving restrictions, speed limits on the various road categories, bus lane and parking restrictions etc, and the penalties for infringement.

  • It is probably worth updating this answer to say that on the facts given, the OP can drive with their Greek driving license for 12 months. Commented Nov 19, 2018 at 10:21
  • @Martin Bonner Thanks, have edited this into the answer
    – Traveller
    Commented Nov 19, 2018 at 12:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.