I started my Employment on February 2017, with EU Blue Card in Germany. I want to switch jobs without re-authorization from the German Authorities. Can I do it now? (As it's been more than 18 months.) Or should I wait for it to be 2 years? (On February 2019)

  • But still after two years I should go to ABH to change the employer name on zusatzblatt, or is it not needed anymore? Jul 9, 2022 at 22:01

1 Answer 1


You can change to a different company without going through the whole process, but you need to be aware of a few things.

Your new job must still be eligible for the § 19a visa. The job title should ideally be the same, or similar (i.e. something like Senor Software Developer and Software Developer or Project Manager and Technical Project Manager) is fine in my experience. If it's the same verbatim that makes it easier.

Your salary needs to still be high enough.

You have to go to Ausländerbehörde and tell them in person. If your title changed at all, they will give you a new accompanying paper. If it's literally the same, they will likely not give you a new one.

Keep in mind going there can take long. If you can, make an appointment. If you happen to be in Berlin, expect this to take a full day.

How long you've already worked has no bearing on this process. The Blue Card visa is not tied to a specific job, just the process of issuing it is tied to having a concrete job offer.

You can find information on the official website of the Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge. Here's the relevant part:

Any change of job during the first two years of employment requires the approval of the immigration authority (section 19a subs. 4 of the German Residence Act). Approval is subject to the same preconditions as initial issuance. If the minimum gross salary threshold has been raised during the intervening period, compliance with the new threshold must be proven. Holders of an EU Blue Card are obliged to inform the competent immigration authority if the employment for which the EU Blue Card was issued is terminated prematurely

  • 1
    This restriction shouldn't apply if you've already had the card for more than 2 years, or you've previously held the card in another EU state for more than 18 months. You should be able to change employer at your own will, and also be able to perform freelancer activities.
    – Asher
    Feb 10, 2022 at 19:34
  • 1
    @JananathBanuka I don't know about Munich. In Berlin, the actual waiting would take a couple of hours usually, a few years ago. In Hannover it was much faster I have been told. I've only ever accompanied people, because I'm German myself. I would assume Munich is similar to Berlin. Best plan the better part of a full day.
    – simbabque
    Jan 18, 2023 at 11:22
  • 1
    Hi @simbabque, okay that's good to know. I was wondering it would take another month or so to get the final result from the Ausländerbehörde Jan 18, 2023 at 14:56
  • 1
    @JananathBanuka ah sorry. No, the time I went with my friend to do it, we went up to this window when it was our turn, a bit like at the post office. We talked to a lady who refused to speak German (so I did most of the talking). She took the passport, the work contract, and the little paper, went away, and came back with everything a few minutes later. The little piece of paper was new, the rest stayed the same. Visa wasn't changed. It was all done in a single visit.
    – simbabque
    Jan 18, 2023 at 15:14
  • 1
    I can't speak for Munich (although I have heard better things about them than the Berlin Auslaenderbehoerde), but at the time (probably about 5 or 6 years ago) in Berlin the queue for non-appointment based stuff where you had to take a number was the same for asylum seekers and work visa issues. I recall going there before they opened in the morning and queuing outside. We both took a day off work to do it every time my friend had to go. Wooden benches on the inside, very sad environment. Take a book or your computer so you can work. You'll be there a while.
    – simbabque
    Jan 18, 2023 at 15:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.