On a recent trip to Canada, I applied for my ETA as I am a British Citizen. It got denied as I was recognised as a Canadian citizen as my mother was born in Canada and always maintained full Canadian citizenship. I had to get an emergency electronic Canadian passport attached to my UK passport for the duration of the holiday. I am now looking to apply for my Canadian passport, how do I go about this? Do I need to obtain a certificate of Canadian citizenship first?

  • Isn't this the happiest visa denial ever? Jan 11, 2019 at 12:59

1 Answer 1


Yes, assuming you were not born in Canada, you need to apply for and get a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship first before you can apply for a Canadian passport. Proving that your mother was born in Canada should be enough to prove that you are currently a Canadian citizen.

  • Thanks. When I applied for my ETA and got rejected, it was stated in the email that it was on the grounds that I am already recognised as a citizen. Any ideas how I go about applying?
    – Marek Weir
    Jan 10, 2019 at 16:04
  • @MarekWeir: Here is the application
    – user102008
    Jan 10, 2019 at 16:13
  • Merci, much appreciated
    – Marek Weir
    Jan 10, 2019 at 16:14
  • 1
    If someone is "already recognized as a citizen," why is it necessary to have a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship before applying for a passport?
    – phoog
    Jan 10, 2019 at 16:43
  • @phoog: I'm not sure what "already recognized as a citizen" means. He doesn't have a certificate, and so does not have any official documentation of his citizenship. However, the fact that his parent was born in Canada pretty much tells us that he is a Canadian citizen. In any case, he needs a certificate before applying for a Canadian passport, because that's what Canada's passport application requriements require.
    – user102008
    Jan 10, 2019 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.