I'm a US Permanent Resident. My job allows me to work from home full time. I want to partially move back to Honduras where I'm a citizen. I would come back to the US every couple of months for face time meetings etc...I was thinking about doing this for 1 year.

Can I do this without my employer knowing anything about it? I would VPN..take call/ confrence calls like I live in the US.

  • 1
    If you're asking with respect to your employer, The Workplace would be the better site.
    – phoog
    Jan 13, 2019 at 11:23
  • 1
    Why would you not tell your employer about it?
    – gerrit
    Jan 13, 2019 at 12:58
  • You might remain resident in the US for immigration purposes, but also be resident in Honduras for tax and employment law. Your employer's HR and payroll departments really need to know where you are working to comply with all applicable laws. Jan 13, 2019 at 15:13
  • Your employer might notice. If the address they think you are working at is within commuting distance of the office, they would expect you to be able to attend an afternoon face-to-face meeting that was called at 10 a.m. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:23

1 Answer 1


The only danger with respect to your permanent resident status would be a finding that you had abandoned your permanent residence. If you're never outside the US for more than six months at once, and the whole arrangement lasts for no more than a year, there's no appreciable risk of that happening.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.