I have received a job offer in Canada and am already in express entry pool. I need to take my mother with me as she is widowed and old. Is it possible to apply for her super visa along with my application? Or do I have to go to Canada and then apply? Any advice would be much appreciated.

  • For clarity, under which of the Express Entry programs are you applying?
    – Traveller
    Jan 23, 2019 at 11:43
  • Federal skilled worker program. Sorry I missed to mention this
    – AnOldSoul
    Jan 23, 2019 at 12:14

1 Answer 1


From CIC:

Who is eligible for a parent and grandparent super visa?

To be eligible for the super visa, applicants must be the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

By definition, you are not a permanent resident until you land as a permanent resident. So you have two options:

  1. Land as a permanent resident and then apply for super visa (There may be additional requirements for this)
  2. Apply for a regular visitor visa for your mother and bring her in with you when you land.
  • Thank you very much for your answer. Do you know how long it would take before I can sponsor her with my PR there?
    – AnOldSoul
    Jan 23, 2019 at 13:36
  • You need to be a permanent resident to sponsor and meet proof of income requirements. You can check your eligibility here
    – Dipen Shah
    Jan 23, 2019 at 14:07
  • that is for them becoming a permanent resident right? because its asking proof of fund for 3 years!
    – AnOldSoul
    Jan 23, 2019 at 14:18
  • No. That is the requirement for sponsoring parents. See the page title How much income do I need to sponsor my parents and grandparents?
    – Dipen Shah
    Jan 23, 2019 at 15:14
  • 1
    yes that's what I had asked in the question as well :) so for that, it should be relatively quick right? I don't have to wait too long?
    – AnOldSoul
    Jan 23, 2019 at 15:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.