I have work visa of Japan. I am going to marry in the month of April. It takes some time to get the marriage certificate, so my wife will come with me on tourist visa. Can we convert to dependent visa later?

1 Answer 1



I assume that you are asking if your wife could change her Status of Residence from "Temporary Visitor" (which includes Tourists) to one that of a "Dependent".

The answer for that is "Yes, you can." However, since it takes about 1-3 months to process her application, she may want to apply also for a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) when she makes the application for the change. This is because her "Temporary Visitor" Status of Residence may expire while waiting for the change to be approved.

See related post and links below.

Application for Certificate of Eligibility

Application for Change of Status of Residence


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.